Social media is the rage now. From individual entrepreneurs to big giants of the business world, everybody is marketing their brands on social media. Many go the DIY way whereas others seek the services of professional social media marketing agencies. Whichever you choose, you must familiarize yourselves with hashtags and how they work. Today we are going to talk about hashtags and why you should take them seriously.
Hashtag- What is It?
Hashtag or Hash # is a phrase which follows a pound sign. It helps you to locate exact posts on social media platforms. It works just like metadata in the sense that it allows you to tag content on sites like Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest. With hashtags, you can easily navigate and participate in online conversations. The hashtag is made up of digits, letters as well as special characters. You can look for a specific hashtag and access all the content labelled with it.
It was first used in 2007 in a tweet by Chris Messina. At first, Twitter used it as a hyperlink and then gradually, it spread throughout the social media scene. It is now a significant tool used by companies to increase their visibility and brand value. Many reach out to agencies that help in social media marketing so that their hashtag game stands apart in the crowd.
Why Should You Take #Tags Seriously?
Hashtags are now an integral part of the online environment. Most social media sites now have the classified program which is known as #tags. Your users can find relevant posts, images and even videos if they are tagged with the right label. Thus you must incorporate hashtags in your content. This way, not just your followers but everyone who is on social media, can find your brand. For example, if you are a thrift store selling dresses, then tagging your posts with #thriftdresses or #thriftfashionista will boost your online presence. A greater thing is coming up with a unique and exclusive tag which will help you build your own niche. You can also reach your target audience much more easily this way. However, brainstorming such hashtags is not easy and social media marketing agencies can help you big time with this.
How Do They Work?
It is quite simple. The more you use hashtags, the more your reach increases on social media. However, before you start tagging, you must carry out some research. A Large number for a single tag means lots of people are using it. Though it signifies potential, it might be bad if you are a new brand. The competition is more and you have to struggle for visibility and the chances of getting bogged down are higher. A professional marketing agency that deals with social media can come in really handy here.
Perks of Using Hashtags
Listed below are some of the perks of using hashtags for your business.
1. Increased Views – Just as keywords help in search engine optimization, hashtags get more viewers for your content on social media. Right hashtags can gain you more traffic and help you become a trend.
2. More Followers – It also helps you become creative and gain followers. Thus, your digital footprint is significantly enhanced.
3. New Customers – However, hashtags won’t matter much if there is no conversion. To turn followers into customers, you must catch the tending tags in an insightful manner. Social media marketing agencies can target the correct audience and boost your company’s growth.
4. Branding – Choosing the perfect hashtag is difficult but essential as they make your brand visible to users who need it.
5 Pro Tips for Using Hashtags
Keep these golden tips in mind while using hashtags for growing your business.
1. Using local hashtags helps in the growth of community awareness.
2. Start using brand-specific and relevant hashtags. This way you can begin a conversation and in time, might become a trendsetter as well.
3. Check out the hashtags used by similar businesses. You can also look into your customer’s interests.
4. While selecting new hashtags, ensure that you and your team know and understand the context. For example, many randomly used #alllivesmatter as opposed to #blacklivesmatter without knowing the background. Therefore, do proper research or hire people who can do research.
5. A professional social media marketing agency really helps. You can also use search tools. They help you look for suitable hashtags and their search volume as well.
Be it offline or online, your ultimate aim is to grow your business. With social media marketing agencies on board, your business reaches more people and can have a global presence. With Automate Accelerator, you get data-driven results about your marketing strategies. We provide trackable and predictable growth that makes your business scalable and generates consistent revenues. To know more, schedule an appointment today!